July 16, 2009

My New Dog is a Lemon!

I just took my new puppy to the vet, and I had somewhat of an Antiques Roadshow experience, which I'll get into more details in a second. I got her about 1.5 weeks ago from a man on Craigslist. I drove out of state to go pick her up. While handing her over to me, the guy tells me that he took her to a vet about 1 month ago. The vet examined her and felt she was around 3 months old. So, I was apparently buying a 4 month old pit bull. Fast forward about a week. I tried contacting the guy via his email to get the vet information. He claimed she already had her puppy shots, and I wanted to have that information forwarded to my local vet. The man has yet to reply to me.

So, she went to the vet this morning under the assumption that the original seller was a liar. My vet had to give her all new puppy shots and vaccinations because I don't have proof she ever received them. Upon inspecting her mouth, my vet told me without at doubt that she was at least 1 year old! He told me that not only are all her adult teeth grown in, but the back teeth already have some plaque. Normally, on Antiques Roadshow, it's a good thing to find out your object is older than originally thought. In my case, it was a bad thing. I'm a pit bull fan. I like the breed and size. Jasmine is about 27 lbs. now and probably won't get much bigger. This is really depressing for me. I love her and won't give her up, but she is not what we were looking for. I was hoping she would one day be big enough to protect herself against our other dog who's 60 lbs now. I am going to look up more information on these age signs now. I wish I knew what other breed she's mixed with.

No comments: