September 20, 2009

New Body Image Attempts

Since I've been taking some time off from "work," I've had the freedom to skip some meals. At work, I have a strong desire to eat at lunch time. It's a 30 minute break in the day, and I see people leaving to go out and buy fast food or smell people reheating their dinners in the lunchroom. It's really, really hard to resist eating. Well, being at home for several days this week, it's enabled me to drink a low-fat latte in the morning and wait until at least 4 or 5 pm to eat my daily "meal."

I've also been doing a food diary. I don't actually count calories. I just honestly try to record everything I eat each day whether it's a meal or a quick snack. Counting calories usually doesn't work for me once I go out to dinner at a family restaurant and can't gauge my calories for the meal. When that happens, I can no longer trust the calorie counting.

So, I just record what I eat. The following day, I look back on what I ate and write a score rating like: good, bad, average, horrible, etc. After I score my day, I write a short summary of what I did to earn that score. If I have a horrible day, I write that I had various people invite me out or I overdid dessert.

If I know my eating was horrible yesterday, I feel guilty all day. I avoid snacking on free donuts at work or whatever. I think skipping meals is actually working for me (again). I used to skip meals all the time.

My wedding is just around the corner. I'm not expecting miracles in the weight loss department, but I would like to try.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

try out livestrong.com they have a spot for you to record what you ate & it will give you all the nutritional info

Stephanie said...

Yeah, it's the nutritional info that stops the convenience of recording things. The minute I go to a local restaurant or eat at a friends house, it's impossible to get an accurate record. When that happens, I lose my enthusiasm for keeping track.

So, recording it in my google Docs file has been the most helpful. Since getting sick, I have fallen behind. Since I can't remember what I did last week, I'm just going to start fresh with a new log.