October 27, 2010

33 Week Appointment

Bingo Number 33
I had an OBGYN appointment this morning. As always, I saw my doctor for less than 10 minutes but had to sit there for over an hour. I was utterly shocked to find out my weight had NOT increased since my weigh in on October 7. To have a growing belly for 20 days and NOT gain a pound is such a great feeling. My blood pressure was also good.

I was handed a 34 week appointment packet explaining what to look for when going into labor. It also included information on Post Partum care. I go back in 2 weeks, and I will be tested for Group B Strep Infection. I need to educate myself more on what to expect during appointments these last few weeks. I don't want any surprises.

My doctor discussed fetal movement with me. She's normally a very laid back woman, but she admits to getting a bit "psycho" when it comes to fetal movement. The last thing she wants to hear is a woman call in and say, "I haven't felt any movement since yesterday." My doctor wants me to make sure I'm feeling movement at least 4-5 times per day. She wants first morning wakeup, after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner, and before bedtime. If the baby isn't moving during those times, I am to drink OJ or something similar and lie on my side.

I've read this before but not really worried about it. My baby doesn't move constantly. He sometimes doesn't move after eating either. But, my doctor said the first thing a baby does when it's in danger is slow down to conserve energy. So, if there's no movement, he could still be alive but in danger. I am to call my doctor and come in to have a quick check on the monitor. If his heart rate is low or there's something else noticeable, they will take me in for an emergency C-section to get him out of the dangerous situation. I'm going to pay more attention to his movements. I've read horror stories of women losing their babies around 39 weeks due to the umbilical cord choking them. That idea alone freaks me out.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Anne said...

It will be alright, hun. I know these last weeks can be nerve wrecking, but soon this will all be over. Enjoy this excitement of antecipation - I sure miss it!