July 15, 2010

The Big Ultrasound at 18 Weeks Pregnant

My hubby and I went to our 18 week ultrasound (u/s) yesterday. This is normally the u/s reserved for parents to discover whether or not they're having a boy or a girl. Since we already found out during an elective ultrasound, we were more interested in viewing our son again. I had some fears that things weren't progressing right because the quickening or movement I had felt from 14-16 weeks had really tapered off as I approached the 18th week.

Luckily, my fears were washed away when we saw our little man on the screen. We lied to the u/s tech about knowing gender. We wanted to see more proof that Brycen was a boy. Sure enough - he's all good. The u/s tech then took multiple pictures of body parts including the spine, kidneys, umbilical cord, brain, 4 chambers of the heart, all the limbs, lack of cleft lip, etc. The picture taking took around 45 minutes. After that, the tech switched wands. He kept zooming into the face and then clicking a button which brought  color to the screen. It looked like 3D, but the screen said 2D. Aside from that, we couldn't make out what he was trying to see. He backed out of the color and zoomed into the face again and again. He was dead silent the entire time (unlike during the picture taking). After about 10 minutes, I was so worried that something was structurally wrong with my uterus or something.

The tech finally announced that he was trying to get a 3D face shot for us to have a "cool picture to take home." Whew! Was I relieved. The placenta was right in front of his face, so that's why we couldn't tell what we were seeing. I didn't mind not getting a good face shot. I was just happy nothing was wrong. We ended up getting an arm shot, which is shown above. His fingers are so cute. I can't wait to kiss them.

During the picture taking, the tech measured Brycen's skull, abdomen, and a part of his brain. The machine took an average of the measurements and calculated the due date to be December 14th. It's one day off from my calculations, so we're going to stick with December 15th.

All in all, the appointment went well. I was happy to get out of there and go to the bathroom after drinking 40 oz. of water.



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Mrs. Mootz said...

How exciting! I love seeing ultrasound pics :)