August 1, 2009

No Longer Recycling Rings

I received a engagement ring and the wedding band of my great grand-mother. I was hoping to take the diamond out of her engagement ring and create something new (which is happening.) I also thought it would be sentimental to take her wedding band (Plat with channel-set round diamonds and use that as my wedding band. Not only did I like the idea of using the same ring she had on, but I thought financially, this would save us hundreds of dollars.

Well, upon showing my mom the wedding band and how I planned to recycle it, she pulls out a box of old jewelry and shows me a section of diamonds and platinum that she had a jeweler remove from my wedding band. The two rings come from my father's side of the family. My parents have been divorced since I was in Kindergarten. During their marriage, they received these rings from my grandfather with the intent on gifting them to me in my dad's will. Well, my mom felt the need to parade around town with these two rings on her right hand while she was married to him rather than leave them somewhere safe for me. In order to wear them, she had to take them to a jeweler to get them resized (and smaller) for her hand.

So, upon seeing the section of my ring, I asked for it. She snatched it out of my hand and immaturely hid it somewhere in her kitchen, I believe. She refused to give it to me, claiming it was her's. Again, she's divorced from my dad and has no relation to the woman who actually owned these two rings. I guess it's just principle, but I don't want my wedding band with my marriage to be partially owned by my mother the rest of her life. She guaranteed will never take it to a jeweler. She claims she's saving it in case she needs the diamonds to repair other pieces she owns. I bet, that section of my ring will stay in her jewelry box until she dies.

I made it quite clear to her that my ring felt special when I thought it was from my great grand-mother. To hear that my greedy mother actually had it altered and wore it around everywhere makes me sick. To then know she refuses to give me the rest of the ring out of spite just gives me a bad juju vibe with the band. Now, I have to get my own wedding band.

The bad news: I have to spend more money. The good news: I can find a wedding band that will incorporate sapphires in it like the engagement ring and like Ryan's wedding band. I have found three pictures of rings I like. The first picture is of the most closely resembled ring that I own now. I will have the jeweler custom make my piece and use my diamonds from my ggma's wedding band.

 

I like the top two more than that bottom one. I think it will all depend on how the wedding band will look and feel up against my engagement ring. I don't want anything feeling bulky or clunky nor do I want two rings that refuse to align with each other.

Another option I wouldn't mind would look something like this:


I would just have it made with every other diamond being a sapphire. I would have extra diamonds, which I could then gift to my little brother or something. I think this style would help to keep the ring attached to my engagement ring, but again, I won't know until I can try some bands on my finger with the engagement ring already on.

What are you thoughts?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I really like the first ring too :) I can't believe your mom would do that..ugh! Oh well, at least you can "recycle" the engagement ring & the wedding ring can be brandy new :)