August 9, 2009

We Bought My Wedding Band

Originally, I liked the wedding band of my previous post which you can see in the top picture. I found a 10% online coupon, and the total price came up to about $950. That price felt too high for me, so we went back to the jeweler that is creating my engagement ring. Upon entering, we asked to see if my ring was done being built yet. It wasn't, but all the pieces were in. I tried the empty setting on my finger, and it fit wonderfully. Later, when the ring is finished, the BF can go in to pick it up. I won't see it or wear it until he proposes, which is definitely a good thing.

Today, I was able to wear my engagement ring setting while trying on wedding bands to get a good look and feel for what I want. As it turned out, they had a band in my size with a contour look to go around my big setting. I asked about swapping out half the diamonds for sapphires, which would give it more of the look I was going for. The first problem: switching out the stones would make the total ring cost twice as much as the sales price. Also, they would then have to ship out the sapphires from my engagement ring to color match sapphires in the wedding band. Shipping the sapphires out would push back the completion of my engagement ring for another TWO WEEKS! I just hated that thought of still not being engaged while I'm busy planning the marriage ceremony. So, we bought the ring with just straight diamonds. Here's a picture of it:


Here's a picture of my setting with no stones in it:


The contour is nice because the large size of my diamond in the engagement ring. I want the bands to be more flush than to be spaced apart. I won't really know until after I've officially been proposed to.  Now, I just get to take the wedding band in and out of the box every so often.  I should note that the wedding band is 14k White Gold and the engagement ring is Platinum. They look fine next to each other, and I didn't have to go over budget with the cheaper metal. The expensive diamond has the nice metal, and that's all that matters.

No comments: